Instagram Live Feed

Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Kripalu and Miss Favela

Soar into Fall 2013 at Kripalu

I got the new Kripalu catalog in the mail last night, I was so excited I immediately went through it and marked all the classes I would like to take (wishful thinking). I had a really great time when I was there this past Spring.

I was in dire need of a vacation. I had just gotten a bonus and my manager mentioned that I had a lot of vacation days and that the first quarter was already over (a gentle hint that I shouldn't carry days over to next year).  On the Kripalu website I came across Tiffany Cruikshank's  5 Day Spring Detox for a Vibrant Life - Sunday through Friday in April. The start date was in less than a week... Why not! I got out my credit card and signed up.

An email from Tiffany advised me to start the detox process three weeks before the first day of class and to read her book but it was also okay if I didn't. I went with the latter. The day before I was to leave for the Berkshires I met my friend at Miss Favela in Williamsburg. 

Band at Miss Favela

Caipirinha and Feijoada at Miss Favela

Lunch time party crowd at Miss Favela


I thought I was going to have a nice quiet lunch to catch up. Little did I know it was going to have a live band, music so loud - we had to text each other, dancing, and pitchers of caipirinha's. They also have Feijoada - so good! Lets put it this way - going to Miss Favela before a detox was like Mardi Gras before Lent. It was awesome! I have to go again.

The following day was to be my first day of no:
  1. Sugar
  2. Wheat
  3. Alcohol
  4. Dairy
  5. Caffeine
I didn't think it was possible to do it but I actually did it. I went through the week without having any of the 5 toxin accumulating foods. It was easy at Kripalu because the food there is very varied, all the food options have the ingredients listed, everything tastes really good, and it's healthy! It was a little tortuous to omit the 5 above (with the exception of alcohol) because I wanted to try everything.

Besides the food another reason I loved being at Kripalu was the Healing Arts. I opted to stay in a dorm room so I could have enough $$$ to get spa treatments. They have a staff of technicians on site that really know what they are doing. The prices are affordable compared to NYC prices. It was the best decision I made, totally worth it as staying in the dorm was much better than I thought it would be.

Remembering all these details really makes me want to go back there! It was a really great way to relax and get away from the everyday stresses. I'll have to narrow down my picks to one or who knows maybe I will splurge and go more than once!


Kripalu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art (4) Bar (3) Beauty (3) Berkshires (1) Books (3) Brooklyn (4) Brunch (1) Cheap (5) Chelsea (4) Chinatown (1) Dessert (2) Dinner (4) East Village (1) Experience (21) Film (1) Flowers (1) Hamptons (1) Hells Kitchen (1) Home (1) Kundalini Yoga (1) Little Italy (3) Lower East Side (4) Lunch (2) meditation (1) Midtown (2) Music (1) NoLita (3) Park (4) Queens (2) Review (1) Shopping (1) SoHo (1) Spa (1) Tarot (1) Theater (2) Upper East Side (1) vacation (1) Website (2) Williamsburg (2) Yoga (3)