Instagram Live Feed

Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yoga to the People

I took my first Power Vinyasa Flow class at  Yoga to the People in St. Marks.  I've known of the place for over a year but had not found my way there.  Luckily I found a new friend that suggested we meet up for yoga instead of the usual drinks.

We met at 7pm for the 7:30 class.  At first I thought it might be too early but it worked out really well because we got a good spot and we were able to relax and talk before class started.

The studio is large, clean, and has good vibe.  Classes are 60 minutes and offered seven days a week.  The fee is a suggested donation of $10 (pay what you can). Mat rental is $2 and a bottle of water is $1.  I rented a mat but next time I will definitely bring my own ( I will feel a lot more comfortable on my own personal mat).  The studio has changing rooms, bathrooms, and cubbies for your stuff but it does not have showers or lockers.  Also, there is only one bathroom per class (long lines).

The actual class was vigorous but not strenuous and the poses flowed from one to the other.  The instructor encouraged you to move to your limit but no further.  "Feel where you are; enjoy the moment."

After class we went around the corner to Tahini for dinner.  I ordered a Falafel sandwich and a lemonade for a grand total of $5.40 including tax!  Very good after yoga dinner.  After that we went across the street to the DessertTruck.  A very unexpected surprise!  It turns out the people who run it are a bunch of pastry chefs who met at Le Cirque.  The result is a gourmet desert from a truck.  I ordered the Vanilla Creme Brulee and it was perfection.  The custard was not to sweet or too thick and a cool temperature.  The caramel was just perfect and very satisfying to break through.  I also had a taste of Goat Cheese Cheesecake and that was heavenly.  $6 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art (4) Bar (3) Beauty (3) Berkshires (1) Books (3) Brooklyn (4) Brunch (1) Cheap (5) Chelsea (4) Chinatown (1) Dessert (2) Dinner (4) East Village (1) Experience (21) Film (1) Flowers (1) Hamptons (1) Hells Kitchen (1) Home (1) Kundalini Yoga (1) Little Italy (3) Lower East Side (4) Lunch (2) meditation (1) Midtown (2) Music (1) NoLita (3) Park (4) Queens (2) Review (1) Shopping (1) SoHo (1) Spa (1) Tarot (1) Theater (2) Upper East Side (1) vacation (1) Website (2) Williamsburg (2) Yoga (3)